!Ciao!    Welcome to Italian-Club.org




1906 Clinic Annex Restoration Project


Toward the end of the 1990's the Italian Club began the process of restoring the Club’s 1906 Italian Club Annex Building located adjacent to our historic clubhouse by seeking preservation grants and matching funds.  The Clinic Annex building was built in 1906 and pre-dates the Clubhouse by twelve years.


The initial work included a forensic structural analysis of the structure, architectural drawings, which included the installation of a new elevator, renovating two restrooms (ADA compliant), the removal of all exposed cabling and concealing all new wiring, plus install a WI-FI system and the addition of egress stairs.  One of the major projects was to return to the building the original styled street balcony.  The reconstructed front balcony was designed from historic photographs and locating some remaining wall connections.  Other projects include the replacement of all exterior HVAC units and reengineering the mechanical system to tie into the Club's central cooling units.  These projects have been financed in part with historic preservation grant assistance provided by the Bureau of Historic Preservation, Division of Historical Resources, Florida Department of State, assisted by the Historic Preservation Advisory Council.


The last project completed was the reconstruction of the original skylight over the room to the current Board of Directors.  The originally the skylight played an integral part in the function of the Club's clinic and pharmacy, but after 100 years the glazing and louvered vents introduced too much water into the building which was difficult to control. The reconstructed skylight echoes the original design, but provides the building with a hurricane impact, insulated, low-e glazing on the skylight. 


For over 100 years this building has provided an important roll to the Club and to Ybor City as a location for the first Italian Club medical clinic, a community pharmacy, Ybor City's public library plus the building has housed many retail and restaurants on the first floor over the years.  Under the Club's current leadership the Club has shown a commitment to the preservation and restoration of a historical landmark for all that visit can enjoy. 

Current Restoration Work (Before):


Current Restoration Work (After):




Italian-Club.org Copyright 2007